My kids are very big fans for any snack (that is crunchy) Most of the time I have some snack handy. However Thattai is very rare item. I wanted to post some savoury snack. Even though any savoury snack is ok with the kids and my husband they have sweet spot for few snacks. Thattai is one of it. So I have decided to make thattaiPin It Now!
- Rice Flour - 4 cups
- Urad Dhal Flour - 4 tablespoon (Roast the urad dhal and grind to the powder. Sieve it to make sure you get fine flour)
- Roasted Gram Dhal / Pottukadalai / Split Roast Gram Dal) powder- 1 Tablespoon (Grind the Roasted gram dhal in the mixie and sieve it)
- Channa Dal -1 1/2 tablespoon
- Butter - 2 tablespoon
- Red chilli powder - 1 teaspoon
- Pepper powder - 2 teaspoon
- Hing / Asafoetida - a pinch
- White Sesame Seeds - 1/2 tablespoon
- Water - as needed
- Salt per taste
- Oil - for deep fry
- Heat the kada when it is hot add rice flour and fry till nice aroma comes (flour shouldn't change the color. So frying for 3-4 mins is good enough). Switch it off spread it on news paper and let it cool down. Sieve to get smooth powder. If you see lumps use hand to break it. So we can get fine rice flour
- Soak the channa dal for 1/2 an hour. Drain the water and keep it aside
- Mix the rice flour, urad dhal flour, roasted gram flour , Channa Dhal, Salt, Butter, Chilli powder, sesame seeds and pepper powder together.
- Knead it into a dough adding enough water. Make sure you add water little by little so that we get firm dough.
- Greese a zip lock cover or plastic bag (lunch or sandwich bag) with oil.Take a lemon sized dough and flatten it using your palm. Prick it with frok (this will avoid puffing up). If you have poori presser you an use that too
- Heat a kadai with oil for deep frying. When the oil is hot, Lift the fatten flour from the plastic bag drop it in the oil. keep the flame in medium. Cook till "shhhh" sound subsides
- Drop Thattai in the oil. keep the flame in medium. Cook till "shhhh" sound subsides
- Take out the cooked Thattai (make sure you drain all the oil) and put it in tissue to drain excess oil. Once it is cool down store it in air tight container
- Enjoy this snack anytime!