This is my favourite payasam and very easy to make. I do this for most of the festivals. It is one of the healthiest Indian dessert. This you can make it even more healthy by adding low fat milk and mixed nuts Almonds, pistas in place of cashewnuts ( which goes well with this payasam than other dessert)
Vermicelli - 3/4 Cups
Mixed nuts - 3 to 4 tablespoon
Milk - 1 Litre (I have used low fat milk)
Ghee - 1 tablespoon
cardamom powder - 1/2 teaspoon
Sugar - 1/2 Cup (I used even less than this. Adjust it to your taste)
Salt a pinch
- In a kadai, add ghee and fry the mixed nuts till golden brown and keep aside.
- In the same pan, add the vermicelli and roast it till turns into a nice golden brown color. Make sure you keep stirring for even roasting
- Cook the vermicelli in water with pinch of salt (just little salt is good enough)
- Meanwhile Boil milk till the milk reduces to 3/4 th of the quantity. Continue to stir.
- Add the bolied milk and sugar to cooked Vermicelli. Let it boil till sugar is disolved
- Add cardamom powder and mix it well. let it boil for another 20 sec
- Switch off the flame.
- Add in mixed nuts and serve hot. My husband love cooled version of it